Sunday, September 16, 2007

When the comforts of home are most appreciated

I'm writing this very early on Monday morning -- awake because I've caught the virus that Joe has been suffering from this past week. It's a disappointment, but I'm hoping the zinc tablets that I'd remembered to pack will help reduce the symptoms and the duration of this cold.

I shouldn't feel poorly enough to curtail many of my plans for the rest of the two-week vacation, although I may find it unwise to swim laps in the villa's gorgeous swimming pool. I guess going for a run today would also not be the smartest thing to do. Rats.

The cold had only been at the stage where I had a scratchy throat, but I was awakened a few minutes ago with a cough. Oh well. I'm going to stay awake while the Cold-Eze dissolves under my tongue, and see if the zinc is able to prevent the cold from taking hold in my sinuses. I will say that waking up in this home-away-from-home is wonderful, even when I'm not feeling 100 percent.

First, it is easy for me, with three levels of villa to rattle around in, to keep out of earshot of my wife or our guests by sticking to the lounge / kitchen level. Second, I've been able to do activities here that are diverting but not physically taxing. For instance, last night Joe and I resumed our ongoing snooker match. Snooker is an odd game played on a huge table with far more balls than billiards.

The table is incredible, though. The cushions are "alive" and the felt is in great shape. I've played billiards regularly for years, and Joe is also a good pool player, so applying "English" to control the cue ball has been fun. We could only do that with an exceptional billiards / snooker table!

While Joe and I were on the lounge level, listening to the snooker room's amazing stereo system, our "better halves" were downstairs watching a DVD on the wide-screen TV.

Let me amend what I said about this being a home-away-from-home. My home is a somewhat cramped apartment, and Joe and Michele's is a sailboat. This is far better than home in many wonderful regards!

Okay, the Cold-Eze is nearly dissolved, and it's time to see if I can get more sleep. Wish me well in fighting this cold. And don't hate me for vacationing in the lap of luxury.

If I'm feeling up to it, I'll be finishing and posting a fairly lengthy account later today of our incredible adventures on Saturday in St. Tropez.

No comments: